Office of the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth
The Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth is an independent officer of the Legislature that
- provides an independent voice for children and youth, including First Nations children and youth and children with special needs, by partnering with them to bring issues forward;
- encourage communication and understanding between children and families and those who provide them with services;
- and educate children, youth and their caregivers regarding the rights of children and youth.
The functions of the Advocate are to:
- provide advocacy to children and youth who are seeking or receiving approved services under the Child and Family Services Act;
- promote the rights under Part V of the Child and Family Services Act of children in care;
- provide advocacy in accordance with clause 16 (1) (k) to children who are pupils of provincial schools for the deaf, schools for the blind or demonstration schools under section 13 of the Education Act;
- provide advocacy in accordance with clause 16 (1) (1) to children and youth with respect to matters that arise while held in court holding cells and being transported to and from court holding cells; and
- provide any other advocacy that is permitted under the regulations or any other Act.
The Office receives and responds to individual concerns of children, youth who are seeking or receiving services under the Child and Family Services Act and the Education Act (Provincial and Demonstration Schools).
The Provincial Advocate may identify systemic problems involving children, conduct review and provide education and
advice on the issue of advocacy and the rights of children.
The office is guided by the principles of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and has a strong commitment to youth involvement.
The office takes direction from children and young people.
The Provincial Advocate conducts its work through three distinct functions:
- Individual Rights Advocacy
- Systemic Advocacy
- Community Development
Art. 30 — Convention on the Rights of the Child